Hospital Front

20s/30s Expansion

The continued growth of the hospital led to the first major expansion after WW1 with 4 new buildings construction and the original wooden ones, now considered fire traps, demolished.

1937 Layout
Admin.pdf Admin Photo Service Photo Demonstration Photo School Photo Panorama Photo
(1937)Quincy Hospital Layout
# Bldg Built Description
1 Admin 1937 A WPA project. Administration and nurse residence.
2 Service Bldg 1924 The separate deparments were; the powerhouse, ice-making plant, laundry, storerooms, linen & service rooms, and kitchens & dining rooms.
3 Rice 1910 1st floor was an open ward. Private rooms were on the second floor.
4 Rice Ext 1925? Surgical Unit Extension
5 Surgical 1912 Separate surgical bldg replacing the operating room located on the 2nd floor of the old Admin bldg.
6 Hunting 1925 The growing demands for private rooms and a modern maternity to care for children led to the construction of the Maternity & Children Bldg (later renamed Hunting, in honor of Dr.Hunting) and 105 added beds.
7 M&S 1930 Medical and Surgical. Patients were transferred from the old wooden bldg wards.
8 Gordon House 1927 Nurse residence, Quincy School of Nursing. With the city renting three homes on Hospital Hill to accommodate the nurses and domestic help, the need for a larger nurses home on hospital grounds was evident.
9 Faxon House 1912 Early Nurses Home. After a period of vacancy, it became a Detox Center in 1973.
10 Neighborhood Club 1918 Not a physical part but certainly an important social focal point for hospital staff. An interesting antecdote was that during the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic part of the club was transformed into a temporary hospital to take 50+ influenza patients due to Quincy Hospital overcrowding.
11 Ward A 1942 (Not Shown). Outlined with a yellow dash, it was built as wartime construction that added 50 beds.
12 Ward E 1918 (Not Shown). With the shipyard working double shifts during WW1 and sending many of their injured men to the hospital, beds were at a premium. A number of physicians and citizens subscribed money for a portable bldg and equipment known as Ward E which was used for the convalescing male patients. After the war, it was known as the Children's Ward but most of the time it was filled to capacity from either the male or female wards.