Hospital Front

Cottage Years

Dr.Gordon
Dr.Gordon
William Rice
The formation of the hospital was the result of the collaboration of two well-respected Quincy citizens, Dr.John Gordon and William Rice.

Dr. John Gordon(1843 – 1918) was the founder and considered to be the "moving spirit" behind Quincy Hospital. Born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, in 1843, he arrived in Boston in 1866 as a Harvard Medical student. Upon graduation in 1871 he established a practice in Quincy where he spent his entire professional career. First as Town Physician and later as the first Chairman of the Board of Health, Dr. Gordon became an esteemed part of the Quincy community.

His attention would turn to the plight of local granite workers suffering from dust-generated respiratory illness and injuries from quarry work. Nothing short of building a local hospital would be sufficient as a solution he believed. That pursuit led to a 1888 collaboration with the Quincy industrialist William Rice who provided the needed land. With the growing support of many other notable citizens, the hospital became a reality in 1890. In the 1930s, the nursing school building was named after him.

The Cottage Hospital

The small hospital design chosen was the popular "village" or cottage hospital which originated from England in 1860 as a means of bringing medical services to rural communities and financially supported with voluntary contributions. This movement had its catalyst in Massachusetts with the incorporation of Newton Hospital in 1881. Quincy's original two all-wood buildings were designed by the architect William Pitt Wentworth, who focused on churches and hospitals.

Original Building
A 1910s view from Whitwell St. Rice Bldg can be seen in the center background.

As seen in the above photo, the operating room was housed in a small section of the Administration building. Typical of pre-1890 hospital design, there was a lack of adequate assigned space for operations. This was remedied with a separate surgical pavilion built in 1912.

More Early Contributions

  1. Faxon House(1912-1987) - Donation of the Faxon family for use as a Nurses Home. In 1972 it was converted to a Detox Center.
  2. Rice Building(1909-1964) - The final contribution by William Rice just before his death. It was replaced in 1964 by East Wing.
  3. Surgical Building(1912-2021) - Quincy's first surgical unit was a gift from Mrs Abigail Adams and her brothers as a memorial to their mother. Later renamed Rice pavilion,it lasted to the very end.

QMC 1890
Faxon
QMC 1890
Rice
QMC 1890
Rice
QMC 1890
Surgical
QMC Wing C
Surgical